Pages

Sunday 12 February 2012

Chapter 16

Taking Upon Us the Name of Thy Son:  The Incredible Power and Blessing from  the Name of Jesus Christ
In the sacrament prayer that was quoted in the previous chapter, it reads,  that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him”.  To take his name upon us, does not only mean to take on the label of Christian.  To take his name upon us means to use his name repetitively and frequently.   In the same sentence we take his name and we remember him.  We “always” remember him by doing anything and everything that is of worth by doing it in his name.  The name of Jesus Christ invokes power.  It is a key word.  It is the equivalent of “Abra Cadabra” or some other use of words to cast a spell or generate power.  Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not advocating witchcraft or sorcery!  To the contrary, I am advocating taking the name of Jesus Christ and using it for righteous purposes.   Jesus has given us his name as a gift, to invoke the powers of heaven on our behalf.  It is through his name that is upon us, that we are protected from the forces of evil and from the defects and suffering of this world.  Through his name, we overcome the world, and the Holy Supper, the sacrament, is a reminder of that.
There are numerous invitations by Jesus to use his name, not in vain, but worthily,
John 14:13  And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 16:23  Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.  24  Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
Notice that “whatsoever” or all that you ask will be given to you.  The only condition is that it be done believing on his name and believing on him.  There are no other limitations.  Verse 24 notes that we don’t even try to ask in his name.  What does Jesus want for us:  Tests?  Adversity?  Suffering?   He wants us to ask so that we receive that our joy may be full.
Mark 16: 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up (put away) serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
The only requirement is that they believe so that, “any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them”.  Did you catch that?  “Any” deadly thing.
Mark 9: 38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. 39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. 40 For he that is not against us is on our part. 41For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
The above scripture contrasts with the one where the Savior said that many will come in his name, and will deceive many.  They are the wolves in sheep’s clothing who will use his name in vain.  Regarding these hypocrites, the Savior warned,
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
The Greek word for “knew” is the same word that was used to know someone intimately, such as when Mary said that she had not known a man.  This is the intimacy gained through the sacrament and through obedience to the Great Commandments.  The Greek word for “iniquity” means “lawlessness” or a complete disregard for the law.  What law?  The First and Great Commandment.  Any great works that were done, were not done by the power of his name but were done by some other power, possibly technology, or possibly some kind of illusion of Satan.  They used his name for what appeared to be righteous works.  They drew near to him with their lips and did honor him, but their hearts were far from him.  They taught for precepts, the commandments of men (absent God’s law), having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof.  What power?  The power of Jesus’ name.
In Mark 9, Jesus recognized that the person was using his name because he was a believer. He may not have had the priesthood or some special authority, but Jesus forbade him not, because he was using his name and its power for righteous purposes. He was not using it in vain and he invoked its power to perform miracles.  Therefore, Jesus “knew” him and recognized the sincerity of his work.
It is a false tradition that we cannot use his name repetitively or that using it too much makes it mundane and is using it in vain.  No, it is only in vain if it is done without belief and for unrighteous or selfish purposes.
I personally have discovered the power and blessing of “always remembering him” by using his name frequently and have experienced many miracles, for example:
1.     I suffer from severe leg cramps at times.  In the name of Jesus Christ, I ask for the pain to leave and I command the elements, cells and systems of my body to rally to my relief and thank them for their service in the past.  The relief comes almost immediately.  I give thanks for this marvelous manifestation.
2.     I have been on airplanes that encountered severe turbulence causing me motion sickness.  I invoke the name of Jesus Christ numerous times, asking the elements to be calm, and within minutes it becomes smooth.
3.     Every time I enter a taxi or other transportation, in the name of Jesus Christ, I command[1]  that I may travel in safety and I bless all of the elements, the mechanical systems and ask for a shield of protection from other drivers.  I have had many near misses but never an accident.
4.     Not only do I bless my food, but I bless medicine, the ground I am walking on, the trees, and all of nature in the name of Jesus Christ.
5.     Often when I see someone in need, I will ask for their blessing in the name of Jesus Christ, and feel assured that it will be granted.
6.     In the name of Jesus Christ, I have blessed people remotely, from afar, drawing on the powers of perception and of a seer, to see them and to bless them.
7.     We lived in a house that was full of hostile spirits, that didn’t want us there.  They manifested themselves constantly and made threats.  In the name of Jesus Christ, I cleansed the house from top to bottom and they left.
8.     When a little child is sitting on my lap, I bless him/her in the name of Jesus Christ.  If all men would bless a little child in the name of Jesus Christ, child abuse and molestation would disappear from the earth.
And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.
The importance of taking upon us his name worthily cannot be overemphasized.  It is the key to realization of the gifts, promises and power of Jesus Christ. 


[1] Command is not being “bossy” or arrogant, it is being decisive but in a loving manner.  How gentle is god’s command, but it is a command, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment